Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
For a basic primer about uniform colors, see the list below. You may scroll down to view discussions.
Star Trek: Enterprise, Star Trek: TOS & the Star Trek Reboot films Edit
- Gold or yellow is for Command division staff. Senior officers such as ship's captain's had a green variant too.
- Blue is for Sciences & Medical division staff. teal was used instead of a darker blue in the Star Trek: Enterprise era uniforms to denote the division. In the reboot films, medical staff have an option of white uniforms as well.
- Red is for Operations staff, those people in Engineering, Security & ships services.
Star Trek: TNG, DS9 & Voyager Series Edit
- Red is now used by Command division staff.
- Blue is still used by the Sciences & Medical staff. A different color blue, more of a teal -- was used starting later in TNG's production. This is however still considered to be the Sciences & Medical uniform only.
- Gold or yellow is for Operations staff, those people in Engineering, Security & ships services.
Star Trek: The Motion Picture Edit
In the early to mid 2270s, Starfleet issued uniforms of various colors & styles only shown during this film. These were phrase out by 2278 & replaced with the next incarnation. However, some were redyed & redesigned into uniforms shown in Star Trek: II -VI.
Star Trek: II - Star Trek: VI Edit
An entirely new color scheme was determined for this period Starfleet uniform , that of a red uniform jacket over a colored shirt & black pants with division color strip down the leg. You should click on the hyperlinks for more information.
More Information & Discussion Edit
In the original Star Trek series, gold uniforms were command, red uniforms were engineering and security, and blue uniforms were science and medical.
In The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager, red uniforms are command, gold uniforms are engineering and security, and blue uniforms are science and medical.—Preceding unsigned comment added by Icecreamdif (talk • contribs)
In the Original series, the green uniform that Kirk sometimes wore was because of a change of lighting while on set filming was taking place. The normal green shirt that Kirk wore showed up as Gold on film just as beige shirts looked red. This was because for some reason the shirts colors would look different depending on how much light was shining on the shirts. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_uniforms) Actually, the green uniforms (both of Kirk's wrap-arounds as well as the dress uniforms worn by Command personnel) were the same shade as the standard ones, which were also green. But they were made out of different material, so the standard uniform showed up as yellow under the lights and on film, and some stayed green. Later the green was "canonized."
Blue is the only color that meant the same in the TOS pilots, TNG on, and ENT, although the shade changed sometimes.
(random contribution: sources very difficult to find without watching all of TnG and Voyager) - for those two seasons there are green uniforms in addition to red yellow and blue - these are starfleet's military uniforms.. perhaps it would be better to call them "ground forces" .. anyway, there you go. – The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk).
The above comment is incorrect. There was no Ground Forces Uniform in TNG, I don't know where he got that info. The teal or green uniforms were meant to be the same science/medical division as the blue, they just changed fabric, and the newer uniforms looked greener then the older ones that were still in use.-Cpthunt (talk) 01:34, July 22, 2016 (UTC)