Who is the administrator of this Wiki and how often does this individual log in? Edit
Just curious because I see more and more spam pop up on this site every time I log in and there seems to be little to no oversight.
I would suggest giving admin privileges to users who have proved themselves to be trustworthy and informative, so that this site isn't polluted with dumb questions, spam and other off-topic material.
DarthLucifer 18:58, August 27, 2011 (UTC)
I haven't yet met any administrator on this site. You're right though that there's definitely a big spam problem. Some users, such as ProfessorTrek, ask many questions which are either obvious, irrelevant or simply words strung together. Hopefully though, whoever has the ability to block these users will show up soon and intervene.
126.96.36.199 03:11, September 11, 2011 (UTC)
I participate in good faith. I cannot take responsibilty for your ignorance betraying you to what is to you the abstrusity of my writings ProfessorTrek 07:12, September 11, 2011 (UTC)
- One of your questions was "Nobody pees, but there are fart jokes in Star Trek V". 188.8.131.52 13:27, September 11, 2011 (UTC)
- You know damn well that most of the crap you post is complete garbage, with the occasional thoughtful response thrown in for good measure. You should leave this wiki along, PT, and stop with the condescending crap responses.
By the way, Sulfur is an admin on this wiki.
184.108.40.206 15:39, September 11, 2011 (UTC)
Grand Admiral make s**t upEdit
Can an admin please ban the annonymous user who identifies himself as "Grand Admiral Daunis M.R. .... Starfleet Command - 3150-" his answers have absolutely no basis in any established citable source, canon or otherwise, and do not belong on this site, they are confusing to people seeking honest answers. I've repeatedly suggested that he post on MG instead, since that would be more suited to his "style" but I don't think he reads any questions after he "answers" them.-Cpthunt 07:20, February 26, 2012 (UTC)
Just a heads up, this user is back, I already had to undo one of his "answers"-Cpthunt 05:31, June 1, 2012 (UTC)
Stupid Questions? Edit
I have a hard time believing that Who created Star trek, What happen to uss Grissom, How did kirk died, Who killed president Lincoln, Who killed Harry Kim or any of the other random questions being posted by anon user 220.127.116.11 are serious questions, they are just too basic, and frankly too stupid to have been written by anyone other than a troll or a spammer, can we please ban that IP?-Cpthunt 08:33, March 20, 2012 (UTC)
- Since most of this person's questions are asking about events that have been depicted in an episode or film(they wouldn't know to ask "who killed Kirk" if they didn't know he was killed in Generations), I have to wonder if they are asking not so much because they want an answer but for the purpose of merely putting them up on the site for others to read. I'm not sure that makes them a troll or spammer, but I don't think the purpose of this site is to post anticipatory questions, especially ones of this type. Myself and another person have posted on their talk page, but if they continue a ban might be warranted to get them to understand the purpose of this site.31dot 10:01, March 20, 2012 (UTC)
- Now the same person has asked a string of toilet questions, Do alien vessels have bathrooms, How do aliens use the bathroom, Do Federation starships have personal bathrooms, along with even more random questions like I mentioned above. I have serious doubts about whether or not this person is being serious.-Cpthunt 07:53, March 21, 2012 (UTC)
Search confusion Edit
I have noticed a few instances of users confusing the search bar with the bar where questions are typed, such as this one and (I believe this one. Is there any way to better identify the respecitve boxes so they are more likely to be used correctly?31dot 20:34, March 27, 2012 (UTC)
- I've posted on Sulfur's page and also reported the vandal to Wikia. It's too bad my Memory Alpha admin powers don't extend here. I'd suggest just doing nothing until the user can be blocked. 31dot 01:08, April 20, 2012 (UTC)
- There's nothing left on the homepage. Was he banned? - Mitchz95 01:16, April 20, 2012 (UTC)
- Yes, Sulfur took care of it all at once. 31dot 01:18, April 20, 2012 (UTC)
Answering new questionsEdit
Is anyone else having trouble answering new questions? Whenever I try to type an answer in one, the answer box blanks out when I click save. To get around this I have to go to the edit screen to type anything in. If I can't fix that, how do I get it to show the full edit screen by default?-Cpthunt 20:27, May 27, 2012 (UTC)
- I have occasionally had that problem as well, though not all the time. With the way these answer wikis are set up I don't know if you can set it to go to the edit screen by default. 31dot 20:31, May 27, 2012 (UTC)
- Same thing's happening to me. Very annoying. - Mitchz95 16:48, May 30, 2012 (UTC)
- I don't have time right now but I will put in a question to Wikia about this. 31dot 17:53, May 30, 2012 (UTC)
I don't know if it's possible at the individual wiki level, but is there any way we could create a FAQ for questions like "Why did X leave the show?" These get asked about once a week.-Cpthunt (talk) 17:41, August 21, 2012 (UTC)
- I'm sure it's possible to create such a page; I'm not sure how to go about incorporating it into the site yet.
- In the interim I have been redirecting already-asked questions to the already existing answer. 31dot (talk) 20:31, August 21, 2012 (UTC)
- We could also, instead of creating a page of FAQs, create a category for FAQs and tag questions with that category. We could then put a section on the main page along with the New and Answered question sections that are there currently. 31dot (talk) 22:19, August 21, 2012 (UTC)
- All right, I'm not the greatest at this wikicode but I've put a link on the main page to the category I created for FAQs. I put the why-did-McFadden-leave question there since that seems to be the top question; if you (or anyone) know of others, feel free to add them, though they should be ones that are asked fairly often- and there's no reason to stop redirecting similarly-asked questions to an existing one. 31dot (talk) 01:04, August 22, 2012 (UTC)